Thursday, 12 July 2007

How I gave up glad wrap

Reducing your packaging is good not only for your wallet - less disposable things to buy - but also the environment. Here is an example - how I gave up glad wrap.

Every time you tear off a piece of glad wrap to cover a bowl or plate of left overs it is more than likely that you will only use that piece of plastic once and throw it away. There are also concerns about the impacts to your health of the plasticizers in the plastic leaching into your food.

These are some substitutes for plastic wrap that I now use :

  • When leaving bread dough to rise cover with a damp tea towel.
  • Put a plate over a bowl of left overs in the fridge.
  • Buy small stainless steel containers to carry snacks to work.
  • Reuse glass jars to keep halves of lemon or other small items.
  • Wrap things in a tea towel to store or transport.
I have not actually missed glad wrap since that last sticker telling me I had almost run out rolled off the tube.

There is much debate regarding the environmental impacts of manufacturing plastic versus the washing of an alternative. But it seems to me that washing with a biodegradable washing powder is a much better option.

No comments: