Monday, 2 July 2007

Delia Smith's Christmas


Delia Smith's Christmas begins "If there's one person in the world who probably needs this book more than anyone else it's me. For years now my own Christmas preparations have been to say the least, fragmented and fraught: recipes here, notes there..."

Well I think that this is true for any foodie! So many ideas, so little time! Christmas is certainly a major highlight in the foodie's year, so why not indulge in it twice and hold a Mid-Winter Feast!

Delia Smith's Christmas offers absolutely divine recipes for all the classic Winter Christmas Northern Hemisphere dishes including variants on Baked and Glazed Hams, Roast Loin of Pork, Roast Sirloin of Beef, Turkey, Duck, Pheasant together with delicious recipes for the traditional accompaniments, vegetables and sides. There's also a large section dedicated to a Vegetarian Christmas, Cocktail Canapé, Pickles and Chutneys, Classic Christmas Baking, Cakes, Gifts and Desserts.
Over 130 recipes in whole!

However what makes this book truly unique is Delia's sensible shopping lists and planning guides to get all the ingredients and all preparations done in time and with the least amount of fuss and standing in supermarket queues! Perhaps not such a problem in July, however useful all the same!
It even includes an hour by hour guide for the "Last 36 Hours" to ensure your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day go without a hitch.
Oh and what to do with all those leftovers? Never fear Delia has a totally delectable answer to each and every one of them too!

2 comments:

Shaun said...

Bron - I have been keeping my eye on Delia's books lately. I didn't grow up in a household that uses her recipes and have only come to know of her while I've been seriously cooking (in the last year or so). Her "Winter Collection" seems great...I might have to get this one, too (though I have Mimi Sheraton's "Visions of Sugarplums", which also showcases Christmas treats).

Emma said...

My brother in law uses Delia books alot, being English I think he grew up with her. I got him the winter and Summer Collections for Christmas, they look really good. Top tip - have a look in second hand book shops they seem to like it there!